Looking for third party enclosure for oak-d-wifi

I just received my oak-d-wifi from the kickstarter campaign (yay!) and I was wondering if there is any third party that makes an enclosure for this model, or if there are plans to offer one on the OpenCV store. The other versions come with an enclosure which is nice for a lot of reasons. But I haven’t been able to track down something that will work with the oak-d-wifi.

thanks,
Dennis

I found in this post – OpenCV AI Kit by OpenCV » European Orders Are Moving! And "March" Shipments Are No Longer Looking Like "March" — Kickstarter – that there are plans to offer a case for the oak-d-wifi as an accessory. That will be nice. In the meantime I’ll try to rig up something just to be able to mount the camera on a tripod.

1 Like

Even more background in this kickstarter post.

do you feel like getting into 3D printing?

there is a wide variety of programs for modeling/designing 3D parts.

the usable ones are all commercial but some of them are free of charge for personal/student use (Fusion 360 and others by the same company). there are free/FLOSS ones but they’re 1-2 decades behind in usability (FreeCAD/LibreCAD), or plain can’t do what a commercial program can do, and you’ll hit those limits if you do anything that’s more complex than a fractal (dunking on OpenSCAD here).

if you can scare up a mechanical model/schematic or even just a schematic of the PCB plus some manual measurements…

your linked post says the OAK-D-WIFI is incompatible with the enclosure for an OAK-D (no-wifi) but the STEP file would be a base one could modify. depthai-hardware/Mechanical designs/OAK-D at master · luxonis/depthai-hardware · GitHub

1 Like

There is a recent post by Brandon (which I can’t seem to link to) about the negative feedback he has heard about the lack of an enclosure for the oak-d-wifi. This is really unfortunate. I think this is an amazing project and I’m just happy to have this fun piece of technology to play around with. Figuring out an enclosure (or any janky way to mount it to a tripod) is just one more step.

That post mentioned a project on thingiverse with files for 3d printing. I haven’t done 3d printing before, but it sounds like a fun side project. :slight_smile:

cheers,
Dennis

this forum sometimes hides posts (they aren’t gone)… it’s probably some over-sensitive spam detection mechanism. @staff I’m not sure if this gets any attention but please have a look

Hi, I shared the enclosure 3D data for OAK-D-WIFI.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4876999

1 Like

I found two more 3D designs for the OAK-D-WIFI enclosure mentioned in a thread.

I opted to use the files from thing:4876999 and having them 3d printed at Craftcloud. I’ll follow up with how this works out for me.

cheers,
Dennis