cv2.optflow.calcOpticalFlowSparseRLOF Giving Assertion Error

Hello, I am trying to use SparseRLOF Optical Flow to calculate displacement of falling particles. I have already done this using Lucas Kanade and it worked fine. I wanted to give this algorithm a shot and see if it does better according to some metrics. Unfortunately, I a facing an error when I call the calcOpticalFlowSparseRLOF() function. I have pasted the error below. I have also pasted my code below. Please let me know if you can help. This is my first time using this forum to post. If I need to reformat, please let me know.

The code:

#importing the necessary libraries
import cv2
import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import math

a = 9.81*1000*2.8

y0 = 140 #v0 = 0 at y0
dy = np.arange(0, 1081-y0, 1)
y_vals = np.arange(y0,1081,1)
v = np.sqrt(2*a*(dy))
zip_iterator = zip(y_vals, v)
velocity_dict = dict(zip_iterator)

fps = 240

# Creating a VideoCapture object to read the video
cap = cv2.VideoCapture('quinoa_short.mp4')
orb = cv2.ORB_create(nfeatures =10000)
ret, old_frame = cap.read()

# Loop untill the end of the video
loop_var = 1
normalized_sum = 0
while (cap.isOpened()):
    # Capture frame-by-frame
    ret, new_frame = cap.read()
    print(loop_var)
    if new_frame is None:
    	break
    kp, des = orb.detectAndCompute(new_frame, None)
    p0 = []
    p_guess = []
    for i in kp:
        #filter points
    	if i.pt[1] >=225 and i.pt[0] <= 1190:
            p0.append(i.pt)
            x = i.pt[0]
            y = i.pt[1] + velocity_dict[math.floor(i.pt[1])]/fps + (a/2)*(1/fps)**2
            point = (x, y)
            p_guess.append(point)
    #optical flow 
    retval	=	cv2.optflow.RLOFOpticalFlowParameter_create()
    retval.setUseInitialFlow(True)
    p1, st, err = cv2.optflow.calcOpticalFlowSparseRLOF(old_frame, new_frame, np.float32(p0), nextPts = np.float32(p_guess), rlofParam = retval)

The error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/vishnu/Documents/Summer Project/Metrics Folder/RLOF/Quinoa/gravity_sim.py", line 58, in <module>
    p1, st, err = cv2.optflow.calcOpticalFlowSparseRLOF(old_frame, new_frame, np.float32(p0), nextPts = np.float32(p_guess), rlofParam = retval)
cv2.error: OpenCV(4.5.1) /private/var/folders/nz/vv4_9tw56nv9k3tkvyszvwg80000gn/T/pip-req-build-p3unqtkr/opencv_contrib/modules/optflow/src/rlof/rlof_localflow.cpp:402: error: (-215:Assertion failed) nextPtsMat.checkVector(2, CV_32F, true) == npoints in function 'calcLocalOpticalFlowCore'

I used the same exact vector formats for the Lucas Kanade method and am therefore confused as to why this problem is occurring with SparseRLOF. Any input would be appreciated.

try some wild reshaping, like to (-1, 1, 2)

I tried that. It did not work. Is the function working properly? I’m not sure if it is something I’m doing or if there is something wrong with the function itself.

convert p_guess to numpy array

post these:
p_guess.shape
p_guess.dtype
p_guess.data.contiguous

and show how you tried to set shape = (-1, 1, 2)

crosspost:

Hello,
My reshape line is shown below:
p_guess = np.array(p_guess).reshape(-1,1,2)

printing p_guess.shape returns:
(5589, 2)
printing p_guess.data.contiguous returns:
True
printing p_guess.dtype returns:
float64
These outputs are without reshaping. reshaping just changes the shape (5589, 1, 2) where 5589 is the number of key points.

it needs to be float32, so ask for .astype(np.float32) or see about causing that type to begin with

Right, I resolved that error when doing the Lucas Kanade algorithm. In this line, I pass in p_guess by converting it to float32: