It's possible to do cv2.stereoCalibrate() with ChArUco-Board?

Hello people,

I am currently working on a stereo calibration of two cameras. I am currently using a normal checkerboard. I also get correct results, for example I measure the distance of my cameras and compare them with the translation matrix.

Now I have heard that it is more robust if I use the ChArUco board. I tried to find something on the internet but there are really almost no tutorials. I then tried to program it myself, however I get nonsense results. Is it even possible to do a stereo calibration with a ChArUco board? I have added the main party of my code, maybe I did something wrong and someone can give me a hint.

Thank you.

pair_images = zip(images_l, images_r)

for images_l, images_r in pair_images:
    # Left Image Points
    img_l = cv2.imread(images_l)
   grayL = cv2.cvtColor(img_l, cv2.COLOR_BGR2GRAY)
   corners_L, ids_L, rejected_L = cv2.aruco.detectMarkers(grayL, aruco_dict, 
                                                          parameters=arucoParams)
   resp_L, charuco_corners_L, charucos_ids_L =  
                                 cv2.aruco.interpolateCornersCharuco(corners_L, ids_L, grayL, board)

# Right Image Points
   img_r = cv2.imread(images_r)
   grayR = cv2.cvtColor(img_r, cv2.COLOR_BGR2GRAY)
   corners_R, ids_R, rejected_R = cv2.aruco.detectMarkers(grayR, aruco_dict, 
                                                         parameters=arucoParams)
    resp_R, charuco_corners_R, charucos_ids_R = 
    cv2.aruco.interpolateCornersCharuco(corners_R, ids_R, grayR, board)

objpoints_L, imgpoints_L = cv2.aruco.getBoardObjectAndImagePoints(board, charuco_corners_L, charucos_ids_L)
   objpoints_R, imgpoints_R = cv2.aruco.getBoardObjectAndImagePoints(board, charuco_corners_R, charucos_ids_R)

if resp_L == resp_R and (resp_L and resp_R) > 1:
    corners_list_L.append(charuco_corners_L)
    corners_list_R.append(charuco_corners_R)

id_list_L.append(charucos_ids_L)
    id_list_R.append(charucos_ids_R)

objpoints.append(objpoints_L)
    imgpointsR.append(imgpoints_R)
    imgpointsL.append(imgpoints_L)
    # Draw and display the corners
    cv2.aruco.drawDetectedCornersCharuco(img_l, charuco_corners_L, charucos_ids_L, (255,0,0))
    cv2.aruco.drawDetectedCornersCharuco(img_r, charuco_corners_R, charucos_ids_R, (255,0,0))

cv2.imshow('imgL', img_l)
    cv2.imshow('imgR', img_r)
    cv2.moveWindow("imgR", 800, 0)
    cv2.waitKey(200)
    else:
       print("Chessboard couldn't detected. Image pair: ", images_l, " and ", images_r)
       continue

cv2.destroyAllWindows()

ret, M1, d1, M2, d2, R, T, E, F = cv2.stereoCalibrate(objpoints, imgpointsL, imgpointsR, mtxL, 
                       distL, mtxR, distR,(640, 480))
print(T)

Quick answer without looking at the code.

Yes, it is possible. Camera calibration needs input 2D coordinates from whatever methods. The advantage of using ChArUco board vs classical calibration board should be:

• with classical calibration board, the board must be fully visible in the image
  • more accurate 2D corners coordinates with ChArUco board (I think, to be checked)