Parallel processing on Android device?

Hi,
I am running the same C++ Code on different machines: Intel PC, iOS and Android. On PC and iOS, execution nicely parallelizes over several CPU cores. But not so on Android devices.

Specifically, I am running DNN inference on a detection model in ONNX format.

I have used the official releases (4.5.1) for all platforms. But I have also tried own builds for Android, based on the build scripts from the repository, optionally enabling OpenMP or Tengine. None of these ran inference in parallel.
I have found this very related discussion regarding RaspberryPi: How to use multi core for DNN in ARM cpu · Issue #16692 · opencv/opencv · GitHub
(which made me try out OpenMP), but which hasnt helped yet :-/

So the initial question is regarding expectations: is it expected to see OpenCV run inference on multiple cores on ARM-based Android smartphones devices at all? Which is the most likely (or proven) threading library for Android?

Added info:
For my own builds, I am using clang on OSX.
More info:
getNumThreads() tells me OpenCV is aware of the availability of several cores – it just dont use them!

maakus

if you can get OpenCL working, that would accelerate a lot of things. opencv’s DNN module has an OpenCL backend.

Thank you for the advice, crackwitz!
Do you expect this to be a matter of getting my build chain to use OpenCL? Or would I need to dig into OpenCV’s cv::ocl:: implementations? I noted that there is no VENDOR_ARM among VENDOR_AMD, VENDOR_INTEL, … in the vendor enum: OpenCV: cv::ocl::Device Class Reference

I can get OpenCL to be available. But the only available device type is the GPU (Mali). No TYPE_CPU available – at least as far as I could get. :-/

and that’s good because you can already run stuff on the CPU

When running on the CPU, is it expected to run on more than one core on Android devices, then?

don’t know if I’d say “expected” but it should certainly be possible. OpenCV can use a ton of parallelism mechanisms. to name one, OpenMP is built into many compilers these days. you can see enabled “parallel” frameworks during cmake configuration step. my build says

Parallel framework:            Concurrency