Sift with Flann, results differs over iterations on same images

Hey !
I’m trying to create a Python script to find a homography in an image from a template but I’m stuck with a problem. If I run my function through a loop, results are evolving through time. It’s not completely random because each time i run the script, I get the same results at each loop index.

Here’s the code, then the output of the 3 prints :

def lambda_handler(event, context):
    s3 = boto3.client('s3')

body = event

# img1 & img 2 declaration here

sift = cv2.SIFT_create(nOctaveLayers=3)
    # find the keypoints and descriptors with SIFT
    kp1, des1 = sift.detectAndCompute(img1,None)
    kp2, des2 = sift.detectAndCompute(img2,None)

FLANN_INDEX_KDTREE = 1
    index_params = dict(algorithm = FLANN_INDEX_KDTREE, trees = 5)
    search_params = dict(checks = 50)

try:
        flann = initialFlann
    except UnboundLocalError:
        flann = cv2.FlannBasedMatcher(index_params, search_params)
        initialFlann = flann.clone(True)

matches = flann.knnMatch(des1,des2,k=2)

flann.clear()

good = []
    for m,n in matches:
        if m.distance < 0.7*n.distance:
            good.append(m)

minInliers = 20; 

src_pts = np.float32([ kp1[m.queryIdx].pt for m in good ]).reshape(-1,1,2)
    dst_pts = np.float32([ kp2[m.trainIdx].pt for m in good ]).reshape(-1,1,2)

print(len(src_pts))
    print(len(dst_pts))

if len(src_pts) < 4 or len(dst_pts) < 4:
        return False

mask = None
    try:
        M, mask = cv2.findHomography(src_pts, dst_pts, cv2.RANSAC,3.0)
        matchesMask = mask.ravel().tolist()
        inliers = 0;
        for i in mask:
            if i == 1:
                inliers = inliers+1
    except Exception as e:
        print(e)
        return False

print(inliers)

if inliers >= minInliers:
        return True
    else:
        print( "Not enough matches are found - {}/{}".format(inliers, minInliers) )
        return False

for x in range(50):
    lambda_handler(None, None)

Here are the results :

I was asking myself if there was some kind of cache about some training that might be performed and save, but if that’s the point, I can’t find a way to get rid of that. For now, I tried putting a flann.clear() call after it has been executed, but it seems to have no effect at all.

Does any of you have any idea? Thanks!

1 Like

@daganm,

May be you already found the reason: FLANN is random. It speeds up matching working on a random subset, giving approximate results.

This question arise from time to time, I believe this is a good thing to have a post on this, many users will find their answer before asking.

Hi!
Thanks for your answer. I guessed it had something to do about that, but isn’t strange that I’ve got the same set of results each time I run it? Because if everytime I run the script I’ve got the same result on loop 1, on loop 2 etc… Makes me think it is not that random, I really felt like it was some kind of cache training or something like that.

@Alejandro_Silvestri Getting back to you about this.

How could this be random if I get the same results for each loop everytime I run my script? Looks like there’s something not that random in all this…

Thanks again,

My mistake. “FLANN is random” is an oversimplification.
FLANN is a library with a many algorithms, not all of them are deterministic.
The usual first step in FLANN is to automatically pick an algorithm based on the data.

Okay thanks!

Is there a way for me to get the same result for each iteration? Like forcing the algorithm which will be used?

thanks again,

@daganm

Sorry I can’t help you with this, I recommend looking the reference for such characteristic in OpenCV FLANN based algorithms.

I am focusing on this problem and do you have solutions?

You need to fix seed with cv2.setRNGSeed(2391) before each FLANN usage. Note that this will not reliably work if you use FLANN from multiple threads at the same time.

3 Likes

UPD: you will have deterministic reproducible results even using FLANN from different threads (thread per image-pair), just fix the seed in a thread right before matching.

This is thanks to random implementation in OpenCV - the state of random saved in thread local storage, so that it is created per each thread and thus - independent from other threads’ calls to random generator.