Two Cameras Support RTSP - One Flies And The Other Is A Dog

I have a Python/OpenCV application that takes images from a camera using rtsp. I have two different cameras that both support rtsp. One of them (an old Foscam FI9805P) is wicked-fast in delivering images. The other (Reolink RLC-410WS) is so slow it is unusable for the application I’ve written. From a specs perspective both support rtsp. But their performance with this protocol is light years apart.

I need to buy another camera. Is there a way to determine from specs whether I’ll get a speed demon or a dog?

There are a couple of differences between the two that might be contributing to my experience:
The speed-demon is 1/ not high res and 2/ connected to the network via LAN cable.
The dog is 1/ higher res and 2/ connected to the network via WiFi.

I believe I have tried using the worse performing camera at some lower res settings - with no change in streaming performance. Does using a LAN cable offload the camera’s CPU substantially so it might help with streaming performance?

Thanks!

Jim

P.S.: BTW, my goal is to get 3-5 frames per second from the camera. Maybe rtsp isn’t the right way to do this? I’m not deeply experienced with Python or OpenCV - maybe I’ve chosen a sub-optimum method for getting images? Any input on this front is very much welcomed! Thx!

more resolution means more data.

you can choose wired or wireless. if wired, you can choose ethernet or USB or HDMI.

wifi generally means slower link than ethernet.

wifi means no wires to string.

USB 3 (5+ Gbit/s) is faster than gigabit ethernet (1 Gbit/s), is faster than USB 2 (480 Mbit/s), is faster than “fast” ethernet (100 Mbit/s).

devices that apply video compression (because of limited data rate?) are usually fast enough so the compression itself doesn’t slow it down.

you decide what’s important to you.