Cascade detectMultiScale shows error while running

Hi

I am trying to run the code below but it always fails as described. I am not sure what I am doing incorrectly there, but the code is very simple.

std::vector<Rect> detectFacesInImage(Mat& img)
{
    std::vector<Rect> faces;
    CascadeClassifier cascade;
    std::string f = "haarcascades//haarcascade_frontalface_default.xml";
    if (cascade.load(f) == true)
    {
        cascade.detectMultiScale(img, faces);
        return faces;
    }
    return faces;
}

At this point, the image is already converted to grayscale. While running

cascade.detectMultiScale(img, faces);

an error is thrown.

This used to work so I have a suspicion that it is due to

Windows 11
or because of my graphic card
or both

I used to run this without problems before using Windows 10 and a different hardware set.
Is there anything I am missing here?

Thanks for the help
Daniel

which is ? you probably want to tell us ! …

1 Like

Hi
I apologize, I forgot to add this information.

Exceção gerada em 0x00007FFA9543567C em diImage.exe: Exceção do Microsoft C++: cv::Exception no local de memória 0x000000C373DAD130.
"diImage.exe" (Win32): Carregado "C:\Windows\System32\opencl.dll". 
"diImage.exe" (Win32): Carregado "C:\Windows\System32\DXCore.dll". 
"diImage.exe" (Win32): Carregado "C:\Windows\System32\AppXDeploymentClient.dll". 
"diImage.exe" (Win32): Carregado "C:\Windows\System32\dxgi.dll". 
"diImage.exe" (Win32): Carregado "C:\Windows\System32\ResourcePolicyClient.dll". 
"diImage.exe" (Win32): NĂŁo carregado "C:\Windows\System32\ResourcePolicyClient.dll"
"diImage.exe" (Win32): Carregado "C:\Windows\System32\directxdatabasehelper.dll". 
"diImage.exe" (Win32): NĂŁo carregado "C:\Windows\System32\directxdatabasehelper.dll"
"diImage.exe" (Win32): NĂŁo carregado "C:\Windows\System32\dxgi.dll"
"diImage.exe" (Win32): Carregado "C:\Windows\System32\nvopencl.dll". 
"diImage.exe" (Win32): Carregado "C:\Windows\System32\nvapi64.dll". 
Exceção gerada em 0x0000000000000000 em diImage.exe: 0xC0000005: violação de acesso ao executar o local 0x0000000000000

It is an access violation exception.

that’s an invalid path.

learn about the “working directory”, and in which working dir your process actually executes. this is how relative paths are resolved.

also: load the cascade XML once at the start of the program, not every time you want to detect.

1 Like

Hi Crackwitz,

Yes, I have the working folder running under that relative path.

However, the standard C++ way of using paths is using a double “\”, but as you said, I made a mistake. I used the wrong escape sequence “//” ( You may forgive me because I work with both windows and Linux ), usually, compilers would write this warning.

>C:\Users\Administrador\Documents\GitHub\ImageProcessing\opcvwrapper.cpp(823,21): warning C4129: 'h': sequĂŞncia de escape de caractere nĂŁo reconhecida

Also:
cascade.load(f) returned true before, meaning that it was properly loaded, which does not happen if I use a single “/”

Edit: I had also checked the existence of the path using c++17

#include <filesystem>
namespace fs = std::filesystem;
bool file_exists(const std::string& file)
{
	return fs::exists(file);
}

Edit 2:
it does not work with a single /
std::string f = “haarcascades\haarcascade_frontalface_default.xml”;

I even copied it to the working directory

Same error.

regards
Daniel

I can’t read this language but I can see the cv::Exception.

catch the exception and print it. put a try-catch around the entire program.

1 Like

that exception is thrown when I run this code:

auto axes = CvPlot::plotImage(clone);
        cv::Mat mat = axes.render(clone.size().width, clone.size().height);
        CvPlot::show(title, axes);
        waitKey(0);

This is a graph library wrapper written for openCV , but this exception does not stop the program execution.

But thanks for your help. It looks like something at my hardware causes the error probably. Because I used to run this code on another computer.

Thanks
Daniel

well what does the cv::exception say? it’s got a message text attached to it. you have not shared this piece of information yet.

That exception cannot be captured. At least I cannot use a try catch to grab it. However, it does not work if I remove the code from the library and use imshow instead. There is a try catch that already does it. I have appreciated your help in this case, but it does look like something on my graphic board.

why? it’s a cv::Exception. it’s made to be caught.

1 Like

The exception is thrown internally inside CvPlot::show(title, axes). I think the code in the library simply ignores the exception so that is why I cannot capture it. Visual Studio shows us in the debug mode.

try {
    auto axes = CvPlot::plotImage(clone);
    cv::Mat mat = axes.render(clone.size().width, clone.size().height);
    CvPlot::show(title, axes);
    waitKey(0);
}
catch (cv::Exception& e)
{
    std::cerr << e.msg << std::endl;
}