HandEye Calibration and Nodal Point of camera

Hello,

In my setup I have a camera with a tracker mounted ontop of it.
For calibrating the camera, I move the camera to various positions around the aruco board and also capture the tracker’s position for each snapshot.
After calibrating the camera, I use the calculated camera poses as well as the recorded tracker position to retrieve the tracker 2 camera transform via the HandEye (Tsai) calibration.

After having done so succesfully, I calculate the board position ustilizing the calculated camera postition, the tracker 2 camera offset as well as a recorded tracker position. With this i can successfully render the aruco board ontop of the saved snapshots.

Yet when using live tracker data, I get a considerable offset in rotation around the x and y axis in the render and I have no clue where I’m going wrong - perhaps I’m missing a point. For example I’m unsure if the HandEye calibration will return the offset from tracker to camera sensor or the offset from tracker to the camera’s nodal point?

Thank you
Markus

Hello,

Have a look at the corresponding documentation, you have this figure:

What you could do to debug is to use some approximated values and check that the equations in the doc make sense/correspond.

If not, you could have some mismatched coordinate frames.