Use pre-allocated cuda memory pointer to initialize an opencv GpuMat in python

Is there a way to use a memory pointer that has already been allocated to create a GpuMat in OpenCV python?

There is the C++ definition for GpuMat() which takes void* data as input.

Looking at the functions exported to Python:

//! copy constructor
    CV_WRAP GpuMat(const GpuMat& m);

//! constructor for GpuMat headers pointing to user-allocated data
    GpuMat(int rows, int cols, int type, void* data, size_t step = Mat::AUTO_STEP);
    GpuMat(Size size, int type, void* data, size_t step = Mat::AUTO_STEP);

//! creates a GpuMat header for a part of the bigger matrix
    CV_WRAP GpuMat(const GpuMat& m, Range rowRange, Range colRange);
    CV_WRAP GpuMat(const GpuMat& m, Rect roi);

The functions with void* data do not have the CV_WRAP and are not ported to python?

Is there some other way to use pre-allocated cuda pointers in Python opencv?

I attach pictures.
The first picture I attached was an apriltag picture
The second picture attached is the command window.
I’m not sure what’s the problem.

apriltag picture & program command execution result

Hi, I’m sure this has been asked a lot before on the previous forum but I cannot find a link to give you. As far as I am aware this is not possible and I think someone was looking at writing the code to enable this but I am not sure if they got anywhere with it.

As above they are not wrapped because this won’t work.

I had a quick glance at the code. Isn’t this an apriltag library error?

1 Like

wrap your data into a cv::Mat first.

GpuMat from Mat should be available.

edit: or rather, build a numpy array, and then OpenCV should have ways to turn that into a GpuMat.

Yes, this way would definitely work, but my input is already an array pointer from cuda, so it would involve one dtoh and one htod transfer, which seems wasteful.

I tried looking at the old forums and I only found a couple of similar unanswered questions. If it is not too much trouble, could you please provide the intuition behind why this approach wouldn’t work in Python.
I am not able to grasp why this would work in cpp, but passing a similar pointer in python would fail.

Without looking into it I would assume you can’t get the pointer. If you can I would think that it wouldn’t be in the same address space (CUDA context) in the OpenCV library as it was in the library you created it in. I may be wrong, a quick way to find out would be to give it a go, add CV_WRAP re-build and observe the addresses etc. in the debugger (if your using windows VS will allow you to debug python c++ modules).

I tried that, it was taking the int value of the pointer as a scalar, so I removed the CV_WRAP of the constructors which take in a scalar value as input, but still I get the same result as passing a scalar value.

I missed the fact that opencv might create a new cuda context, I assumed it would use the default context.

If you just wrapped the signature with the data pointer then I would expect you to get a compilation error as the python bindings can’t deal with a void *. Did you do something like the below?

CV_WRAP inline GpuMat(int rows, int cols, int type, uint64 dataAddr, size_t step = Mat::AUTO_STEP) :
    GpuMat(rows, cols, type, (void*)dataAddr, step){}

Assuming 64 bit did the memory address which you passed in as an 8 byte integer access access the same location inside OpenCV? Which library are you creating the memory with and how do you get the memory address?