OpenCV / Computer Vision engineer - What do I need?

So what skills are required to be an efficient engineer in this field? What would be ideal to know? I know there aren’t many jobs out there for certain living areas and some have high requirements.

Here’s an example of a computer vision engineer job’s qualifications:

Qualifications
MS in Computer Vision/Machine Learning or equivalent experience
Experience with photogrammetry and 3D Reconstruction
Experience with image based deep learning and computer vision frameworks and libraries, such as pytorch, tensorflow, opencv, etc
Experience with 3D algorithms, especially in 3D mesh manipulation, computational geometry, and linear algebra
Understanding of Image based rendering / novel view synthesis
Understanding of modern 2D segmentation algorithms
Strong analytical and mathematical background, especially in optimization
4+ years software development experience
Fluent in C/C++
Basic Python
Strong communication skills
Preferred Qualifications
SW development experience in Linux
Experience optimizing algorithms for CUDA
Theoretical and practical background in rendering, texture mapping, and pose estimation

There’s a lot to know and I’m nearing to complete my CS engineering degree in 2 / 3 semi-annual semesters. I’d like to hear your experiences/advice on becoming an OpenCV / Computer Vision engineer.

that’s a wishlist to santa. they are asking for expertise in multiple fields that are related but rarely covered by a single person in the depth they seem to demand. they are asking for someone with a PhD because some of those items are active research areas. they will likely not be prepared to pay someone with those qualifications.

there are companies that act insulted when you apply even when you don’t tick all their boxes. there are companies that intentionally make outrageous demands in their openings, fully expecting all applicants to “not measure up”.

the world is insane. it’s definitely not fair. those with the skills get paid peanuts. those that get paid well have a peanut in their head.

forget any “meat markets”, any freelancing sites. that’s not worth your time if you have the skills.

expect nothing out of headhunters. they never know the domain they’re hunting in/for. they’ll try to pigeonhole you into web development 99% of the time.

1 Like

If you do OpenCV as part of your job, what’s it like? What would I need to know at least to be considered? I’m planning on knowing everything taught in a computer vision 1 course offered at my university. Though, I feel like that’s not enough.

I actually don’t do any CV/image processing in my job at all. I would like to. cursed circumstances. there are pitfalls to university you only notice when it’s too late. if your relatives aren’t academics, you have to navigate it all on your own. nobody looks out for you.

a course is a great foundation. the breadth is crucial. the primary value of education is in breadth. it gives you “a clue”, a map to navigate by. you can always go deep when the need arises.

brain workers aren’t menial laborers. it’s not like we can just show up at 5am, half asleep, and start heaving goods into shelves with 5 minutes of instruction. our work is way more complex. any company should fully expect to spend weeks and months on orientation and instruction for new employees.

every chair at university, every company I’ve been with, they tell you to “work” and then abandon you, leave you struggling to deal with the new environment on your own. they don’t care for you. none seem to understand that they’re wasting their own money by not helping new employees get up to speed.

2 Likes