Suggestion: new forum categories: New Feature Proposal, Change Proposal

Recently a researcher came to OpenCV’s GitHub issues page and made a suggestion about contributing an implementation of a new algorithm to OpenCV.

Typically, new feature implementation involves lengthy discussions. I thought that it would be good idea for the discussion to be hosted on forum.opencv.org (as opposed to on the GitHub issues page).

For that to happen, I would like forum.opencv.org to have new discussion categories “New Feature Proposal”, so that this type of discussions can be properly categorized for browsing and retrieval.

2 Likes

the core devs (Intel) probably prefer to keep it all in one place, github, because such discussions ideally lead to a pull request and review, and splitting that over different sites strikes me as inconvenient.

I wouldn’t mind them showing their faces here once in a while though. so far, the forum (and the emails I get) appear to be “first level support” and customer relations, something that needs to exist so the customers don’t bother the core devs. the way I phrase it makes it sound as if I minded spending time on a project that is a commercial success to both Intel and countless companies worldwide that benefit from free support.